Pages Pond

Pages Pond
Pages Pond Waterfall circa 1976

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Back at the Bench

Several years ago after being introduced to Euro-nymphing I was encouraged to tie my own flies. Many years ago when I was in my twenties I used to tie quite a bit mostly nymphs and streamers.
For whatever reason or reasons I stopped.  Back a few years I started to tie Euro nymphs and some soft hackles. A variety of reasons have kept my from the bench until this weekend, when I moved all my materials, vises, and  tools upstairs to a more convenient location. Now I will be back at the bench tying again, in preparation for some fall fishing.




Notice to the left side original Thompson Vise.

I set up the bench using a handmade, maple drop leaf desk, that was constructed by my wife's grandfather many years ago. Above before and after photos.

10 comments:

  1. Nice, Pete! I'm looking forward to seeing some of the killers you tie up, though you could catch trout on a bare hook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben B
    Thank you. Made me laugh with one. No bare hook although that thought had crossed my mind. Anyway hope to get out soon, maybe we can hit a small stream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. AT
    Thank you. I will put it to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now your entering special territory.
    That desk is awesome, and only good creations can come from it.
    Good tying, and I'm looking forward to seeing some of your flies.
    I agree with Ben says to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alan
    Thank you for your kind words. I will be do my best to come up with some creations. Looking forward to getting out on a small stream with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great desk for tying Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mark
    Thank you and it certainly is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pete
    That desk is truly a treasure the perfect setup to start the tying process again. It takes a skilled woodworker to construct a piece like that. How are you doing with the health issues, hope things is going well---thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bill Trussell
    Thank you
    Yes this desk is a treasure. I am getting much better thank you. Will hopefully be on the streams soon for some fall fishing!!

    ReplyDelete