Pages Pond

Pages Pond
Pages Pond Waterfall circa 1976

Saturday, May 27, 2017

A Doe?! A Deer!!!

Spent some time this afternoon exploring a small local stream. At location A, I promptly hooked and lost what would have been the first fish of the day. The fish took a sz. 18 BHPTSH, dead drifted. I set the hook, felt the tug and just quickly it was gone.
At location B nobody was home, but on the way down a dirt road spotted a young deer browsing on the fresh vegetation . He or she seemed undisturbed by my presence and I was able to get a couple of photos of the deer.
Arrived at location C, and as approached this area noticed a few fish rising pretty steadily. I tied on a sz 16 Partridge and Peacock soft hackle, cast above the first riser, the fish took it on the dead drift, and of course I missed that one. Continued in the same pool, and finally managed a small stocked rainbow, which took the soft hackle on the retrieve. Released to live another day.
Moved down stream a bit and located a few more rising, hooking and losing another one.
Deer Watching me.

Back to eating.

6 comments:

  1. A beautiful day to enjoy the quiet gifts Mother Nature provides.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa
      Thank you! No fish photos today, just this beautiful deer having a snack.

      Delete
  2. Pete the deer felt at ease with you there, or it had a fawn close by and did not want to draw any attention.
    I'm glad you got the time on the stream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan
      Thank you! I enjoyed my time out there and it is always nice to see some of the wildlife!

      Delete
  3. Nice to see you getting out again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mark
      Thank you. The highlight was the deer feeding in close proximity to where I was. Always nice to enjoy the wildlife in addition to the trout!!

      Delete